Corporate social responsibility
Our vision of corporate responsibility is based on a set of principles that guide our relationship with shareholders, employees, suppliers, partners, governments and the communities affected by our operations.
Corporate responsibility is fundamental to our strategic and operational thinking. We cannot sustain good financial and operational performance without simultaneously achieving our goals in health and safety, environmental management, human resource development and investment in the community. We believe that our transparent approach to doing business is the only way to fully engage stakeholders in a meaningful and mutually beneficial relationship.
Internal Social Responsibility
In the scope of social responsibility with workers, Catoca participates as guarantor in the process of housing acquisition in the most varied centralities spread across the country, as a state initiative.
In addition to the acquisition of housing, our social responsibility with the worker is also reflected in programs such as:
- Housing Program: Construction of a residential village, exclusively for workers, located about 12 kilometers from the city of Saurimo.
- Still within the scope of the housing guarantee, Catoca has negotiated more than 500 residences in some condominiums in Luanda.
- Support for directed self-construction: Program aimed at workers resident in Saurimo, through the presentation of concrete projects.
- Pension Fund Catoca –FUNCAT: A pension fund complementary to Social Security, created to guarantee workers a more comfortable retirement, from the point of view of finances.
- Health Program: the company has a clinic in the village of Catoca, with a specialized structure, with a daily service capacity of 200 workers, their families, the surrounding population and traditional authorities, in addition to other people assisted in emergency situations.
- Health Insurance: Under the management of the insurance company Prudencial, our workers and their families have renewed their hopes for providing better health services with access to new clinics and pharmacies. An investment of approximately US $ 8 million per year by the Sociedade Mineira de Catoca.
- Life Insurance: Our workers, by the nature of their daily activities, have life insurance, which covers both natural death and accidents caused by work.
- Car Credit.
- Consumer credit.
- Salary advance.
External Social Responsibility
In the scope of external social responsibility, Catoca develops:
The Lunda Sul Economic and Social Development Support Program is a partnership between Catoca and the government of Lunda Sul, focused on the promotion of Pisciculture, the production of Cassava and Fruit that is being developed in the 4 municipalities of the province, involving cooperatives and associations of farmers and fish farmers, which today already shows results in the locations of Caita Luonhi and Mutôua in the province of Lunda Sul, in Angola.
School Lunch Program
Amid the difficulties allied to the economic and financial crisis that is plaguing the country, Catoca, continued all social support programs for communities with a focus on promoting self-sustainability policies to the detriment of assistance.
More than 30 thousand children in the municipality of Saurimo benefit from school lunches on a daily basis in primary and first cycle schools within the distribution network of the Sociedade Mineira de Catoca.
Catoca it owns a factory producing bread and soy milk on the premises with a capacity of eight thousand supplements per day and substantially assists the factory in Saurimo that produces more than 20 thousand snacks daily.
Approximately 10 schools in the areas of influence are assisted by the diamond industry, among which, six built by initiative of Catoca with approximately 5 students who receive quits of educational material such as backpacks, notebooks, gowns, cases, pencils, pens, erasers, among others, annually.
Within the scope of projects related to the promotion of education in the province, Catoca built a second cycle school in the locality of Sueja, recently opened with the capacity to accommodate more than a thousand students.
To reduce the illiteracy rate in communities, especially in the adult population, Catoca via its Sustainability Department develops the accelerated literacy program in partnership with the Lunda Sul government in several attached communities, which already provides positive results with the prediction of teaching to read and write over 20 thousand citizens in the next two years .
Medical Assistance and Medicines
In terms of health, the Sociedade Mineira de Catoca, provides medical and medication assistance to more than 30 patients daily in the surrounding areas of Ngando and Mutôua through two medical posts installed within the framework of corporate responsibility, in addition to having health centers in Sueja and Mwono Waha that are 20 and 12 kilometers away Saurimo, respectively.
The localities of Caxita-Muandondji, Caicanga, Sacaxima-Muatoio, Luenda and Sapopo join the already benefited Ngando and Mutôua and have drinking water supply systems in the current year, financed by the Sociedade Mineira de Catoca.
Budgeted at 60 million kwanzas, the social facilities that support a capacity to produce 85 cubic meters per day of drinking water will benefit more than four thousand inhabitants of these villages.
In the list of programs for the new year, Catoca will continue with the following programs:
- Promotion of the local business community (Lunda Sul),
- Support for the creation of community farms and agricultural cooperatives and deforestation.
- Construction of Primary Schools, equipping and distributing academic material to students.
- Construction of childcare centers and Community Children's Centers.
- School lunch for more than 30 thousand primary school students.
- Multiform support for the Lunda Sul Higher Polytechnic School: Lweji A´Nkonde University.
- Construction of Community Jangos (with TV and TV signal).
- Construction of Medical Posts.
- Solar energy installation in communities.
- Providing Water to Communities
- Exhibition of walking cinema and promotion of lectures in communities through Cine Móvel (walking bus).